Cost: $20-$50 • Time: 4 hours • Age: All
Intensity: Easy • Attire: Casual • Gear: Camera
Website: www.duartestavern.com • www.harleyfarms.com
Half Moon Bay is a great home base for a weekend getaway, but it's nice to get out and explore. Here's my suggestion for a little side-trip lunch adventure:
- Head south on Highway 1, for about a half hour, to the tiny village of Pescadero. The drive is breathtaking, with stunning ocean vistas, fresh coastal breezes, and the soothing sounds of the surf.
- When you near Pescadero, follow the cute, hand-painted signs of the little girl and the goat. It will lead you to Harley Farms Goat Cheese Factory where you can taste the end result of their handy work. If you arrive mid-morning, you can watch the goats being milked, and watch the cheese being made. Don't forget to purchase some treats to take home.
- Next, head back to town and stop at Arcangeli Country Store. You can't miss it because there are only about a half dozen buildings in the whole downtown. Arcangeli is famous for their fresh baked Artichoke bread. If you're lucky, you'll get it piping hot, fresh out of the oven. Don't eat too much cheese and bread, or you'll ruin your appetite for lunch.
- At the other end of town, and on the opposite side of the street, you'll find Duarte's Tavern. It doesn't look like much, but trust me, you can't beat their lunch. At the suggestion of others, I ordered the crab-melt sandwich, and a bowl of Asparagus Soup. Their specialty is Artichoke soup, which they like to mix with green chili soup. My waitress was nice enough to give me a taste test, and I preferred the Asparagus. I split the meal with my wife Lisa, since we were already stuffed from our earlier cheese and bread indulgence. Truth be told, a cup of soup would have sufficed. But since we were on vacation, we finished off with a slice of Ollalieberry pie. This was also shared since I was about ready to burst at the seems.
- Now, go walk off some of that food. Drive back to Highway 1 and head further south about ten minutes to Pigeon Point Lighthouse, or take a half hour stroll along any of the beautiful beaches located between Pescadero and Half Moon Bay.